The design of the Japanese pattern could well reflect the use of softer timbers used in traditional Japanese furniture making, the auger having a deep, high ratio flute, quickly removing the longer slivers softwoods create. The auger bit on this type has a point on the end, one cutting spur and a single spiral for rapid chip clearance. The single spur is easy to sharpen and the bits cut evenly and fast, even in the hardest of timbers. The chisel is finely ground and slightly tapered from the tips by 0.1mm to allow easy removal from the mortice. A deep waste slot prevents the waste material becoming jammed around the auger. These mortice chisels and bits are made from the finest Japanese carbon steels, selected as ideal for these tools. Often imitated but never equaled. Either way, a high quality chisel will enhance your morticer's performance to a degree where once tried one you will never use a low quality chisel again. Admittedly, they are a big investment, but, what a difference! N.B. As all the auger bits have to accommodate different machines they are supplied long and will need cutting with a conventional hacksaw blade to suit the specific machine for which purchased. For individual specification, please see technical data sheet download.
- Japanese pattern, used in traditional furniture making
- Auger bit with a point on the end, one cutting spur and a single spiral for rapid chip clearance
- Finely ground chisel with a slight taper to allow easy withdrawal from the mortice
- Easy to sharpen single spur auger design which cuts evenly and fast
- Will easily handle all timbers and will improve your machine